Tuesday 3 May 2011

Enterprise - Evaluation

Enterprise is probably one of the more difficult modules that we have done this year, which I think is probably because I took a while to understand what the module was really about. Once I got the hang of it, the module as a whole turned out to be really informative and made a lot of sense in the grand scheme of the course and in aiding my development as a professional designer.

I think that the most useful parts of the module were the more hands on sessions where we would physically do things like in trying to work out how much money we would need to make a year to live comfortably or just generally where there were fewer numbers of people. I found the lectures much more difficult in the module, although I have always found those situations much more difficult to engage with which I suppose is why I find it easier to concentrate in smaller more personal groups.

I think the best part of the module was the final presentations and the build up to them. It was really interesting to work with the group of 4 and try to organise everything and cooperate to overcome any issues that we had. What I found most surprising was how involved everyone became with the company even though it was just conceptual. In fact, by the time we actually delivered the presentation it didn't really seem that far-fetched at all as a genuinely possible business venture. I think that my group all worked well together as a selection of people, and it was actually pretty fun when we got together for meeting and to sort out issues with the company, although that is probably because we were all pretty good friends to start with.

When it came to the final presentation I think we also worked well as a group and all delivered the presentation really well. We made a point to make sure that we delivered the presentation with a casual air as the company concept itself is very casual and nothing too serious compared to many design agencies. I think that we covered all the points that we needed to quite well, slipping up on a few things which was just down to general confusion. Personally I think that we could have gone into more detail with figures and specifics, although the focus of our presentation was primarily on the concept of the company, our USP and how we could make it a viable business.

In all, I don't think I could honestly say that the module was 'fun' or that I enjoyed myself for much of it, however it was definitely one of the more useful modules. It dealt with real world issues in terms of business and how we can get the most out of the industry and out of ourselves which I'm sure will prove really helpful very soon.

1 comment:

  1. Difficult can be a good thing-as this module proved to be.Well done for engaging with it and for finally understanding the usefulness and validity of these lectures/tasks and presentation.
    Glad you enjoyed the 'hands on' activities and group work- it IS a viable proposition.consider doing it in year 6.

    ReplyDelete