Tuesday 29 March 2011

Martin Venezky

Martin Venezky is a designer from San Francisco, California who works across different media, incorporating digital imagery, photography, collage and type. His style is reminiscent of a fine artist, yet he produces thoroughly thought out work specifically appropriate to each client and purpose that it is needed for. He produces a lot things that i don't really like the look the look of, but equally produces loads that I really do like. I first found him through this poster which was designed to support the recent crisis in Japan.


I really like the joint simplicity and complexity of this poster. To me, the detailed illustration at the bottom represents the torrential waters that caused the mass crisis in the country, although in a different context I think it could also be leaves of a tree or some other kind of grass or vegetation. The basic red circle draws attention away from the water and represents a sun above the seascape view while also doubling up as a representation to Japan's flag. The combination of the simple digital and the detailed illustration crates a really nice overall feel to the poster. 

After this I found Venezky's website which was really strange and has a lot of cats and over-the-top flashy things and colours everywhere. You can see it HERE.  

On the site I found these bits of work that I appreciated more than the others. The two posters again mix together digital shapes and other media to create a really nice visual effect and mix of the two mediums. The latter two are included because they show collections of things and I like collections of things. 






No comments:

Post a Comment